22.8.10

guilty pleasure: mermaids

Tonight it was my turn to choose our guilty pleasure movie. I chose Mermaids, that 1990 gem starring Cher, Bilbo Baggins, Wynona Ryder and the extremely adorable Christina Ricci, who's only ten years old in this film. Man is she cute, in fact, I think she's one of the main reasons that I love this movie so much. I've always thought that she looks like my little sister Kate and between her and my early childhood idol, Wynona Ryder, this movie is kind of about my sister and I in an alternate dimension. I'm happy to say that every time Kate watches this movie it makes her think of me, in fact, the copy that we watched tonight was given to me by Kate herself! Thanks!

Jacqui correctly identified the ultimate guilty, perhaps not pleasurable, moment in this movie when Cher hooks up with Bob Hoskins and is eating pretzels, drinking soda, and smoking in her weird double bed. Ugh. Yet, the redeeming moments are everywhere: magical undersea bedrooms, pastel colours and big hair, and, of course, one of my favourite soundtracks ever! I've always thought this music would be perfect tunes to pack your house to before a move and the irony of that is not lost on me (you gotta watch it to know why). Tonight all agreed, it's a movie worth revisiting every now and then, heartwarming, funny, a little dramatic, and of course, it goes perfect with oer d'oeuvres (had to look up the spelling of that one). Make some marshmallow kebobs and settle down with this one some evening -- you won't be sorry! Next choice is Blair's...can't wait to see what he comes up with for us!



Spoiler alert! This is the last (and possibly best) scene of the movie:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love hearing from my readers! I will do my best to respond to you in this comment area!