11.1.11

guilty pleasure: suburbia (1983)

Well, well, another suburban-themed feature on my blog! This time I have to bring Jeff in as the first ever Sadie guest blogger, because I left my homework too late on Sunday and couldn't go to the Guilty Pleasure Movie Club gathering. Lesson learned. Actually, I seriously doubt that I have learned not to procrastinate, though I'm trying to be more on top of things these days and I definitely don't want to miss another movie night any time soon!

This week's Guilty Pleasure Movie Club meeting was hosted and chosen by Caroline. Her first pick was Fast Times at Ridgemont High; she continued her '80s theme with her second choice: 1983's Suburbia. This movie is often confused with the 1996 film also called SubUrbia. Both involve disaffected youth but the 1983 movie is darker and made with a much smaller budget. It also stars a 21 year old Flea who had just started his now famous band "Tony Flow & the Miraculously Majestic Masters of Mayhem" (a.k.a. The Red Hot Chili Peppers)!

The film depicts punks and runaways squatting an abandoned suburb in California and it is not a light movie. It was directed by Penelope Spheeris, whose earlier work was a documentary on the Los Angeles  punk scene called The Decline of Western Civilization and whose later work included the best movie ever (in Sarah's opinion), Wayne's World! This was a fantastic pick by Caroline, as only one other present movie club member had seen it before. Everyone was pleased and after the movie there was an impromptu puzzle exchange (I still have to give Caroline a vintage cowboy puzzle that we got in Calgary over Christmas)!

-Jeff



There you go! Jeff's first guest post and another awesome Guilty Pleasure Movie Club pick. Sorry I had to miss this one, but I'm looking forward to next week at Ryan and Amanda's! 


Oh yeah, and I am loving these new wristlets by madebyhank on Etsy. I totally can't pick a favourite!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome review. I'm going to have to add suburbia to my must-see list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen that movie must add it to my netflix haha. & I adore those wristlets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two should totally watch this movie, but just be warned, it is not light! Not at all! In fact, it's a little disturbing at the beginning even.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wristlets are to die for. Great...now I want;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carla: I know. I really want one, too. Resisting for now, but I'm not sure how long it will last!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love hearing from my readers! I will do my best to respond to you in this comment area!