31.5.11

book club: wide sargasso sea


You might have recently read about the book club that I've started with some blogger friends. We'll be starting Beca's book in July, so I thought it might be nice to set a date for a post about Part I of Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. So, let's say we meet back here on June 10th to discuss the first part via comments/twitter/whatever works. Spoilers up to that point will be fair game! I look forward to hearing what you all think of my pick, because I'm nervous about being the first to choose a book for us. I hope you're enjoying it!

P.S. If you're in Vancouver there are a whole bunch of cheap copies at the Book Warehouse on Broadway and Cambie-ish. Oh yeah, and as a Calgarian I can't believe I'm saying this, but: Go Canucks! I'm totally looking forward to the beginning of the finals and Jeff is loving the return of Winnipeg's NHL team. Hockey in June! Woo!

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait!!! my book comes in the mail tomorrow. I'm itching to start reading!! AND I picked out the book for July! So excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGGGH I STILL HAVEN'T VISITED THE LIBRARY. I'm feeling pressure now. I swear I will have read it by then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've ordered mine from ebay and hope it gets here soon so I can join in the discussion. I saw this on Beca's blog and I'm pretty excited about the concept - and the book sounds wonderful. I'm a HUGE Jane Eyre fan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I'm so excited! I want a blog button too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit, I read all of part one last night (it's just 50 pages or so) and it took me that entire 50 pages to get into this one! So stick with it if you can! Really looking forward to the discussion of this. AND I'm a big Jane Eyre fan, so I love the idea of this as a 20th century follow up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should have my book today! Woohoo! I seem to remember the other book I read by Rhys being a bit like that, Sarah. I think they're both slimmer books tho, right? Maybe I'll snuggle in with it tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha sarah, me and you are the same! i can't wait to discuss it :) because there are some bits i had to underline....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah! I can't believe you just said "Go Canucks Go". I have documented the date and time. I already love you but you're an even better friend now! Also, that's great you've started a book club. You've been wanting to do that for a long while.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love hearing from my readers! I will do my best to respond to you in this comment area!